One source states that Charles Worthington Dorsey built "Chatham" for his daughter Sally who died, and Ligon lived there with his next wife, but it was burned in the 1890s, rebuilt in a different design and named "White Hall" by one of their sons after the Dorsey home.
"Mary Tolly Dorsey, daughter of Colonel Charles Dorsey...born July, 1825, at White Hall, Howard County" where she was raised. After marrying Ligon they spent four years in Annapolis and then lived at Chatham.
As you drive north on St John's Lane, at the top of St. John's cemetery's hill, there are 4 tall obelisk gravestones.
'T. Watkins Ligon' is the draped obelisk, and his second wife Mary T. Ligon is next to him with the tall cross. Her Dorsey parents are the obelisks on the other side of Ligon, and her sister, Ligon's first wife, is buried in the Dorsey graveyard at the old family home "Arcadia," now gone.
©2016 Patricia Bixler Reber
Forgotten history of Ellicott City & Howard County MD