Two kilns remain in the woods to the west of Marriottsville Road between the B&O railroad and the bridge over the Patapsco. The front wall of the one on the left had collapsed, but the 20 foot tall kiln to the right (west) is fairly intact and part of Patapsco Park. The limestone was quarried nearby. During the colonial and federal period, lime was used with sand to make
mortar and plaster, whitewash, and as a fertilizer.
The Ilchester Hotel/Home/Tavern that Ellicott built in the early 1830s was sold
in 1866 to the Redeptorists for $15,000. The walls had weakened by the coal trains and had to have pipes to stabilize the old stone structure. The main
'upper house' was built in 1868, and a large wooden addition was built
beside and behind the 4 story granite building. The first chapel with long windows was attached to the granite hotel and used into at least 1895.
Gray granite from 'Ellicott and Company' quarry was taken by large wagons with "nine yolk of oxen" on the Frederick road to Baltimore to build the first Cathedral in the new nation. Designed by famed architect Benjamin Latrobe (the US Capitol), started in 1806-1812, War of 1812, 1817-1821. Now the Cathedral is called the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and a co-cathedral was completed in 1959.
The Catholic Cathedral and many homes and business in early Ellicott's mills were built with Ellicott City granite from nearby quarries along the Patapsco River. The following excerpts describe the slight difference of the rock found on either side of the river and the quarries in 1811, 1834, 1898 and 1910.