“In early 1808 Eli Rowles (Rolls) of Anne Arundel County [includes present day Howard County] purchased a 77-acre tract of land… for only $250” then in 1813 sold to his son the land except the saw mill, limestone quarries and the lime kiln. The quarries and some type of kilns continued until at least 1900 when William Davis sold the town, two farms, store, "improved by two large kilns, capacity about 1500 bushels…contains a large and valuable deposit of limestone…” Eventually Bennett Gates bought the land and kilns in 1930, but died two years later. In 1956 his widow sold land and the “abandoned lime kiln” to the state for Patapsco Park. [MHIP]
The square opening is 6'9' and extends 7'3" at the bottom of the 20 foot wall. The 'poking hole' in the back is where the finished lime was pulled out.
From the top the limestone and fuel (coal) were dumped in layers into the round hole.
The interior of a round kiln
1803 sketch by British artist Pyne with smoke coming out the top of a kiln which looks similar to the Marriottsville kiln.HERE and Child's Lime Kiln, Highland MD HERE
©2017 Patricia Bixler Reber
Forgotten history of Ellicott City & Howard County MD