The first image from the 1834 lottery print depicts the extended balcony, further detailed in an 1855 print. The lottery sale transferred the hotel from Andrew McLaughlin to T.G. Brown. During the Civil War it owned by unionist McGowan, and by 1878 owned by T. Wilson who sold it to the Hunt family in 1905. The stone building was gutted in an attempt to make an ice plant, which weakened the structure, thus causing it to be rebuilt by Pennington using the granite blocks, windows and doors from the original. Other owners included a Thomas and a Stewart.
Although the present structure was built c1930, it is made of the granite blocks from the previous building.
Md. Inventory of Historical Structures HO-70
"A Sketch from Rock Hill, advertising a Valuable real and personal property sold by Andrew McLaughlin by Lottery in accordance with Act of Maryland Legislature passed Feb. 19, 1834"
Celia Holland's Ellicott City, Md. Mill Town, USA
Rambles in the path of the steam horse, by Eli Bowen,1855
©2017 Patricia Bixler Reber
Forgotten history of Ellicott City & Howard County MD