Monday, November 28, 2022

Ben Franklin staying young ... described by Andrew Ellicott

After completing the survey of the extension of the Pa and Va boundary (the continuation of the Mason-Dixon line) in 1784 and the western border of PA in 1785, Major Andrew Ellicott, 31 years old (1754-1820) was invited to spend a day - Dec 4, 1785 - with the 79 year old Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).
Franklin's "little room" was "filled with old philosophical Instruments, Papers,Boxes, Tables, and Stools" and at 10:00 Franklin set water over the fire (over a 'Franklin fireplace?) and shaved himself.  Fighting aging, he insisted on doing it all himself rather than to give in, thus increasing his "infirmaries."  Franklin described changing his course at age 70... and "walked back" the years, rather than age.


Ellicott would go on to survey the future Washington DC, borders of the US and various states. From Ellicott's diary, originally all one paragraph, in Mathews biography -
"Dec. 4, 1785: — Immediately after breakfast I went by Perticular Invitation to spend the Day with Doctr. Franklin. I found him in his little Room among his Papers, he received me very politely and immediately entered into conversation about the Western Country. his Room makes a Singular Appearance, being filled with old philosophical Instruments, Papers, Boxes, Tables, and Stools.

About 10 o'clock he sat some water on the fire and not being expert through his great age I desired him to give me the pleasure of assisting him. he thanked me and replied that he ever made it a point to wait upon himself, and although he began to find himself infirm he was determined not to increase his Infirmities by giving way to them. After his water was hot, I observed his Object was to shave himself, which Operation he performed without a Glass and with great expedition. I Asked him if he never employed a Barber, he answered 'no' and continued nearly in the following words 'I think happiness does not consist so much in perticular pieces of good fortune that perhaps accidentally fall to a man's lot, as to be able in his old age to do those little things which was he unable to perform himself would be done by others with a sparing hand.'

Several Foreignors of Distinction dined with us. About 9 O'Clock in the Evening I took my leave of this Venerable Nestor of America."

Mathews, Catharine.  Andrew Ellicott: his life and letters, 1908


Reverse aging: you may now call me 66 (not 74)

Franklin wrote about his 'reverse aging' in a letter to Dr. Bond in The Private Correspondence of Benjamin Franklin…1817.  (compiled by grandson William Temple Franklin).  Letter from France in 1780 about aging and the Philosophical Society -

"For my own part, I do not find that I grow any older. Being arrived at 70, and considering that by travelling further in the same road I should probably be led to the grave, I stopped short, turned about and walked back again; which having done these four years, you may now call me 66. Advise those old friends of ours to follow my example, keep up your spirits and that will keep up your bodies, you will no more stoop under the weight of age than if you had swallowed a handspike. But it is right to abate a little in the article of labour."

No comments:

Post a Comment