The bridge was named after one of the founders and director, Robert Oliver (c1759-1834). He was a wealthy merchant in Baltimore, married Elizabeth Thomas, and bought Oakland Manor (Columbia, Md.) in 1826. According to the B & O Museum website: "The railroad replaced the Viaduct’s arches that crossed Main Street in 1868 and widened them again from 1928-1931."
ELLICOTT CITY on the bridge -
The remaining original arch of the Oliver Viaduct -
The cornerstone (on bottom) placed by a Mason reads A.L. 5829 / A.D. 1829, the other stones show holes from the quarry. A.D. is the year, but A. L. is also Latin, for Year of the Light which included the 4000 years before Christ when some thought that the world was made... thus adding 4000 to 1829, is 5829.
HERE; Thomas Viaduct HERE, Patterson Viaduct and Oliver Viaduct.
Robert Oliver, Merchant of Baltimore 1783-1819 by Stuart Weems Bruchey. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 1946 411p part of Johns Hopkins U Studies in historical and political science 74 #1. About the business side, very little personal info.
©2016 Patricia Bixler Reber
Noteworthy women and historic homes of Ellicott City and Howard County, Md. HOME