TREES OF DOOH
AND THE GIRLS
On the Rushlight Path (street in Columbia, MD) cul-de-sac, hidden in a small group of bushes and trees amid the subdivision houses, is a fenced-in Doughoregan Manor boundary stone. The plaque states that the complete boundary stone probably read “There stand the beginning trees of Doorhegan, Pushpin, and the Girls Portion – 1773”
The plaque continues:
"It marks the intersection of the boundaries of these three properties which were owned by the Carroll, Michael Dorsey and Eli [or Ely] Dorsey families, respectively, and was erected by Michael Dorsey II and his neighbors. Doughoregan Manor was the home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence."
From the source -
HO-1089 Md Historical Trust Inventory of Historic Properties
"The Doughoregan-Pushpin-Girls Portion Boundary Marker locates the intersection of the southwest
comer of the land patent "Pushpin", the northwest comer of the patent "Girls Portion, and a point on the east boundary of the patent "Doughoregan" (originally spelled Doohregan). The tract "Pushpin" was patented first, by John Jones in 1700, and was 200 acres. Two years later Charles Carroll the Settler patented "Doughoregan", which was 7000 acres, and in 1703 Richard Ketlin patented "Girls Portion", which was 100 acres. All three parcels were rectangular.
It was not unusual that the original boundary markers were trees and when they died the stumps were used, until it became necessary for the neighboring property owners to agree to the location of the lost boundary and replace it, often with a stone. That is apparently what happened with this common point of the three tracts. Often a boundary agreement would be recorded amongst the deeds, but no such agreement was found for this marker, suggesting that the original trees that are noted on the stone were still identifiable when the stone was placed in 1773.
Stone boundary markers such as this one would have been common elements of the landscape and ones that would have been pointed out to sons as they walked the fields with their fathers, in order to know the boundaries of their property. Most of these stones seem to have disappeared over the course of development in Howard County, but this one was preserved and is owned by the Columbia Association."
More on Doughoregan HERE
©2016 Patricia Bixler Reber
Noteworthy women and historic homes of Ellicott City and Howard County, Md. HOME