Located on the hill behind the 1830 B&O Railroad station in Ellicott City, the Catholic church was built in 1838. George Herman Ruth (1895-1937) was raised in Baltimore and played his rookie year of baseball there, then was traded to Boston. He married Mary Ellen "Helen" Woodford (1896-1929) in the Ellicott City church with only two witnesses on October 14, 1914. They adopted a baby, Dorothy (1921-1989) purported to be Ruth's daughter with a girlfriend, they separated after he met his future wife, Helen died in a house fire in January 1829, and Ruth remarried in April.
Ruth, Helen and Dorothy
Maryland Historical Trust Inventory of Historic Properties HO-348