In the book, modern wing is built for the main character Lu and her children when they return to live with her father. The old stone farmhouse was never moved - unlike the house in the novel.
The MIHP description - entry hall is 7 feet wide, and it was gutted then totally changed in 1951, only the attic staircase and four fireplaces are original. One fireplace contains a slab with 2 June 1750, when land owned by the Dorsey family. Photo 1980 HERE
Plaque to Rouse and Wilde
The People Tree at Lake Elkhorn
Pictures from the Life 1977 article and Laura in high school HERE
HO-184 Old Oakland Manor HERE
©2017 Patricia Bixler Reber
Forgotten history of Ellicott City & Howard County MD